Monks Hollow Evening Ride

June 26, 2008 at 8:06 am

Well the trip turned out great. We got off to a bit of a slow start, Jed said we could use his trailer so I didn‚??t unload the snowmobiles off of mine. After work we went to get his trailer and realized it wouldn‚??t work. It doesn‚??t really have sides for motorcycles and my truck doesn‚??t have room for them with the box. So we had to unload the snowmobiles off my trailer. Since I didn‚??t do that during lunch, we ended up being about an 30 minutes later than I thought we would be.

We ended up with an odd crew. Jake was on his new bike, Jed was on his bike, Tiffany was on their 400ex, Will was on his 450r, Katie was on Burkes 80, and Kate and I were on my Grizzly. That‚??s right Kate went on her first real 4 wheeler ride.

We did end up going to Monks Hollow. I always forget far it is off the highway. For future reference if you are trying to find it, the turn off is the first paved road after you pass some huge cliffs. The cliffs, and the paved road will both be on the right side of the road, if you are coming from Highway 6.

Monks Hollow was the same as always. Pretty dusty, gorgeously green, and all around a blast. We went up to the summit, but decided not to ride down the Long Hollow side.

My wife was a little worried about the dust for Kate, so we ended up giving everyone a large lead every time we started. Add that to the fact that we drove about half our normal speed, we ended up driving by ourselves most of the time. While we were driving she kept saying ‚??Dad where‚??s your friends?‚?Ě And when I would tell here that they were ahead of us she would say ‚??Let‚??s catch them.‚?Ě

On the way back from the summit, Kate decided we should sing Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. So I sang at the top of my lungs all the way down the canyon. We mixed a few 3 blind mice and other songs into the mix, but mostly it was TTLS. Jed, Will and Jake took a detour up Teat mountain on the trip home and said they could hear us singing from on top of the mountain. I‚??m sure it was the most beautiful singing they‚??ve ever heard.

Despite leaving my house at 6:30 instead of 5:30 like I had wanted too, I think the trip went near perfectly. We got in a good couple hours riding. No one got hurt. And Kate came. I guess the only downside was that Tiff wasn‚??t feeling very well. She was a trooper, but I think she‚??d have just as soon stayed home in bed. Poor girl.

Posted by Mike |